Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:58:53 -0500
From:      Michael Sinz <msinz@wgate.com>
To:        "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, "(Bruce Bauman)" <bbauman@wgate.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: ELF and diskless boot

"Duane H. Hesser" wrote:

> On 23-Feb-01 Randell Jesup wrote:
> > FYI, is there a reason that we've set up our kernel interface to top, etc
> > to fail unless the kernel (in this case 4.x) is loaded with _debugging_
> > symbols?  I.e. if you strip a kernel, top (and a bunch of other stuff)
> > doesn't work because they can't find certain kernel structures.  To make
> > this worse, they also fail if you etherboot (because debug symbols aren't
> > loaded).
> >
> > Is there a reason for this behavior?  Perhaps some benefit we don't see?
> > Any chance of getting this fixed?  I believe this appears sometime since
> > 3.x, i.e. after we'd already moved to ELF, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > (Note: I'm not the primary person investigating this; Mike is.  I think
> > he's looking at modding etherboot to work around the problem.)
> >
> > --
> > Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
> > rjesup@wgate.com

> Is the following pertinent?
> (from the archives, almost a year ago...included without shifts)

Not really - it was almost right except that Etherboot does not load
the symbols (nor fill in that part of the bootinfo structure).

The modified Etherboot now fills in the bootinfo structure *and* make
the metadata array for the kernel so that no kernel patch is needed.
It basically does a diskless boot that looks almost like the normal
loader.  (Not quite since the location of things is not exactly the same
and there is no environment or preloaded modules included.)

[etherboot patch has been submitted to the Etherboot project site on
sourceforge and I included in another message here...]

[...]

> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:51:49 +1100 (EST)
> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> To: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
> cc: Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.org>, committers@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: [4.0-ERRATA candidate?] loader(8)/kvm(3) interoperability issue
>
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > One thing that should IMHO be pointed out in the upcoming 4.0-RELEASE's
> > ERRATA (or some more appropriate place), is the fact that the loader(8)
> > is now a prerequisite for certain programs using kvm(3) interface.
> > Obvious examples are top(1) and swapinfo(8).
> >
> > If you boot your kernel without loader(8), directly through bootblocks,
> > these programs will not work.
>
> I don't user loader(8), and finally got around to fixing this.  The
> problem is that the kernel linker wants module data for the kernel.
> It defaults to using incomplete data if none is present.  The following
> supplies slightly less incomplete data:

[...]

Note that the "using incomplete data" is not really correct.  It uses
complete data -- the dynamic section, aka the publicly defined symbols.
The problem is that FreeBSD requires the debug symbols.

--
Michael Sinz ---- Worldgate Communications ---- msinz@wgate.com
A master's secrets are only as good as