Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:00:03 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Chris McNett <chrismcnett@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Incoming requests not working

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 04:17:54PM +0000, Chris McNett wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT box with some problems.

There is no longer a 4.0-CURRENT. Is this 4.0-RELEASE, 4.0-STABLE,
5.0-CURRENT, or an ancient snapshot from when there was a 4.0-CURRENT.

> (a)  I recompiled the kernel to add support for natd, but now I can't access
> the machine's IP address (209.183.76.22) via http, ftp, telnet, ping, etc.
> from the LAN or from the box itself.  However, I can access it from the box
> itself by telnet localhost or ftp localhost or lynx http://localhost/ or the
> like. I commented everything out in /etc/hosts.allow except ALL : ALL :
> allow.

Let's see your ipfw(8) rules (/etc/rc.firewall or `ipfw show`) and your
natd(8) configuration (from /etc/rc.conf and a natd.conf file if used).

> (b)  I accidentally copied the files in /compat/linux/lib to /usr/X11R6/lib,
> /usr/local/lib, and /usr/lib.  Now X will not load any window manager (but I
> can issue commands with Alt+F2).  I've tried both kvm and fvwm.  Also, emacs
> goes berzerk on exit.  In one telnet session (before I recompiled the
> kernel), emacs ran okay, but after I exited, FreeBSD didn't echo any of the
> letters I typed at the prompt.  I reinstalled the bin distribution, the
> XFree86 distributions, and emacs, but it still doesn't work.

Try `ldd /usr/local/bin/emacs` and verify that all of the libraries
listed have been replaced by the correct ones (or were not clobbered
in the first place).

> (c)  When I use pine to try to send mail, the following error message pops
> up at the bottom of the screen:
> [Mail not sent: <address@hostname.com>...Unable to check MX records for
> recipient host hostname.com]

I believe that is telling you your DNS is not working.