Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:03:08 -0800
From:      "Mike Thompson" <mike.thomson@onlinecables.com>
To:        "Assad Khan" <assad.khan@usa.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [Re: FreeBSD-VS-Linux---Some Venting from Linux's side!]

%[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Assad Khan
%Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 1:48 PM

%Like I said, my point is not to argue that Linux is better
%than BSD, of course
%it is not. But is is getting there. Inspite of all the
%exploits that are to be
%found in the new kernel it is getting significantly better.
%When I ran FreeBSD
%after running Linux for about 9 months I found it to be more
%polished and well
%designed. My venting is a result of some people equating Linux
%with Windows
%NT. I am more for unity than fighting. When I joined this list
%I thought I
%would find people that appreciated Linux and its efforts,
%unfortunately it was
%otherwise. We Linux users regard BSD as a big brother to
%Linux, but you seem
%not to act that way.
%

I used to appreciate Linux's efforts, as Linux was able to do what no
other *nix could do, and that is to have mass appeal. Somehow Linux
acquired this sexy, yet underdogish aura. Now, with public appeal comes
two things, 1. resources (money, programmers, etc) and 2. the
requirement of giving the public what it wants. Now the former is
wonderful. The latter, however is what bugged me. Perhaps I am in the
minority of liking my servers lean. Which was something Linux initially
had going for it, but now... cool new features seem to have taken the
front seat over performance, stability, and most obviously security. Why
do they keep adding extra bells and whistles? Because you go down to
your local software store, and you've got what? ~15 flavors of Linux?!
And of course they all give glittering generalities like "fast, stable,
secure, blah". Now the consumer is forced to go after unique things "Now
with over 200 GUI's to choose from!", "now with 2500 password less
accounts pre set-up to save you the time and hassle of adding users!",
"Now with plug and play support of most major appliances!", etc.
In short, Linux was a good thing, and the Unix community was
appreciative.
But Linux got greedy, factions fought, brand names got muddled... and as
sad as this is... to most of the world BSD, AIX, Solaris, (etc) and
Linux are all the same. (there are two OSes in this world Windows and
other.)
So now that Linux lost it's way and the Unix community as a whole gets
to pay for it, don't expect us to be happy about it, and don't preach
about unity.
ok, enough of my bitching.