Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Byron Schlemmer <byron.schlemmer@realtime.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   16 Character or longer usernames

Hi,

I'm having problems getting FreeBSD to accept longer than 16 character
usernames. I've come across the following hack L

I edit the following file :

/usr/src/sys/sys/param.h :

	#define MAXLOGNAME      17 /* max login name length (incl. NUL) */

and

/usr/src/include/utmph :

	#define UT_NAMESIZE     16      /* see MAXLOGNAME in <sys/param.h> */

Then I do a make world.

The above values seem to work as far as adding users go but I noticed
this little problem :

[byrons@localhost byrons]$ top
kvm_open: proc size mismatch (40128 total, 1104 chunks)
top: Out of memory.

Is this the best way to do this? Is there something I've left out?

Any pointer or help would be much apprecieated.

-byron