Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:43:08 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, "Wayne Pascoe" <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>, "Joe Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: OT License Question WAS: RE: BSD license question

You can because there is a loophole in the GPL.  Since the author of
the work retains copyright, he (or she) alone can re-license the work.
If it's a cooperative distribution then all the authors must agree of
course, but it can be done.  This was intentional by RMS by the way
and is discussed up on the gnu website in some obscure area.

This is one of the reasons that the GNU Project strongly recommends
assigning over the copyright of the distribution to The GNU Project.