Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:57:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Afonso Miu <amiu@engin.umich.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   WaveLan

I have FreeBSD2.2.7+PAO installed on my laptop.
I believe it is the old WaveLAN/PCMCIA, not the IEEE 802.11.
I vaguely remember Craig saying something about updating the card
to 802.11.  Will 2.2.7+PAO work only with the new card?

When I plug in the Wavelan card, it recognizes:
wlp0: nwid [0:0] mac:[8:0:6a:2a:6:5c]
it recognizes it as PCMCIA 915 MHz.

When I use wlconfig to find out the configuration etc., I got:

# wlconfig wlp0
wlconfig: get PSA: Invalid argument

When I tried to set the nwid with the number Jon gave us, I got:

# wlconfig wlp0 nwid A913

I got the same error message saying PSA: Invalid argument.
Similarly when I try to change the irq.

Maybe we have the wrong entry for the card in /etc/pccard.conf:

# NCR Wavelan PCMCIA
# If you want to use Japanese version, uncomment the second config
# line and comment-out the first line.
card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/PCMCIA"
#       config  default "wlp0" any      # US version (915MHz)
        config  default "wlp0" 10       # US version (915MHz)
#       config  default "wlp0" 10 0x01  # Japanese version (2.4GHz)
        ether   wavelan
        insert  echo WaveLAN PCMCIA inserted
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device
        remove  echo WaveLAN PCMCIA removed
        remove  /etc/pccard_ether_remove $device

I have tried the other config lines above with no improvement.
The wlp0 entry in the kernel is set to irq 10.

Any ideas?

Thank you.