Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters), papowell@astart.com, Doug@gorean.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

> : Granted, this is not the only customer base FreeBSD has, but it's a
> : good, strong one and one that has contributed a lot.  Let's try not to
> : blow it for them.
>
> We shouldn't be afraid to import these sources based on this.
>
> Like I said before, if the server company wants to distribtue their
> own hacked copy of LPRng, which isn't available at all, then they will
> need to get a license from the copyright holder.  Otherwise, they will
> have to use lpr.  Us including or not including lprng won't change that.

Actually, over time, FreeBSD is become less and less attractive as
a base line to use for projects within commercial companies due to
more and more GPL and GPL like contaimination.  We have classified the
``Artistic License'' as if it was the GPL.  It really is the GPL sans
the virus if you look at it long enough.

I know for the next time I am need to complete a RFP that I will
have to look closely at these issues, and address them for the client.
This use to be fairly simple to do for BSD, it has become much
much harder as we now have several different chunks of code under
different licenses, and going through the whole tree and untwisting
things is getting harder and harder.

One of the great things, that has been lost, that the CSRG did was to
get people to ``contribute'' their code to the CSRG and/or UCB so that
the UCB copyright could be put on it.    Perhaps it is time to revist
the past and find out how to do this again.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net