Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:02:15 -0700
From:      John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Subject:   Re: recommendation not to purchase DWL-1000AP

[ On Saturday, February 23, Pete Fritchman wrote: ]

> This is what I got a few months ago.
>
> If you can manage to get the new firmware onto the AP, you can use
> web-based configuration (but you'll need a windows machine to do
> that...)

Even hooked directly to the computer via cross-over cable, I could not upload
the latest "web file set" onto the AP. I was able to do the first step of
getting the latest firmware downloaded, but their upgrade utility just sat
there looking for the IP address of the AP when trying to deal with the web set
... (this is with a cross-over cable and me being 100% positive the AP had an
IP address and was "pingable" across that cable).

The "outsourced tech support idiot" at D-link (after not being able to come up
with a fix for this) suggested that I not go that route anyway because he says
there are known issues with the web configuration that can cause the AP to
"lock up". He refused to elaborate further but would only tell me they're
working on another firmware and "web file set" upgrade to combat the problem.

> I currently have it hanging off a switch right now with no problems.

you are lucky. What kind of switch? At first I thought it was because my switch
is a little unmanaged "cheapo" switch, but their lame software couldn't find
the AP through my friend's $500 3com managed ultra-spiffy 24-port switch
either.

> Yep, same here... I ended up getting the MAC address by looking at the
> latest lease on the DHCP server after plugging the AP in.

When you cannot put the right sticker on your hardware to identify its MAC
address, then your company has problems ...

> Agreed... the software and upgrade stuff leaves much to be desired.  The
> window title for the upgrade software is "TestDLL" :-)

yup!!! quite lame.

Well, anyway, thanks for your $0.02 on the AP. I would still recommend that
people who are just forging into 802.11b (like me) avoid this AP. The software
is just too stupid to deal with.

-Jr

--
John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen@reynoldsnet.org  http://www.reynoldsnet.org/