Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:57:14 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>, Malan Joubert <malan_joubert@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp dowloads via telnet downloads

hmmm... ftp and telnet are two separate services and you should be able to
run ftp without a telnet connection.... I assume you have these services
set up via inetd...??? Are they in the /etc/inetd.conf (as uncommented
lines?).

At 12:44 PM 2.15.2002 -0500, Scott Nolde wrote:
>Thus sayeth the previous author:
>
> >Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:34:11 +0200
> >From: Malan Joubert <malan_joubert@hotmail.com>
> >To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> >Subject: ftp dowloads via telnet downloads
> >
> >I have a remote FreeBSD box which I can access through telnet...
> >I want to be able to download large files on it by sending it commands via
> >telnet... Can this be done
> >all that I can manage is to "get" the file while running ftp but then i've
> >got to stay telneted or else it stops....
> >
> >Any Ideas?
> >Malan
> >

>I highly recommend you discontinue using telnet, as OpenSSH will do what
>you wish with ssh (replaces telnet) and scp (secure copy) and sftp (secure
>ftp).
>
>With scp you can typically transfer one or more file with one command line
>entry, then background it with & and redirect any output to /dev/null.
>
>Additionally, there's netcat and cryptcat from ports which you can use to
>transfer files without necessitating ftp services.
>
>Scott Nolde
>GPG Key 0xD869AB48

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"