Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:38:25 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: Certification (was RE: realpath(3) et al) - jumping to -advocacy

On Thursday 14 August 2003 12:24 pm, Robert Watson wrote:

> I agree with these conclusions entirely.  RedHat plays a valuable
> role in the Linux world in a variety of ways, and one of the most
> important is to provide the kind of support and legitimacy presence
> that many large companies are looking for.

I concur. I didn't find the suggestion silly at all. Rather it was quite
sensible. What is silly is the idea that ultraspecific certifications
mean anything.

"Im sorry sir, we looking for a Certified AIX Administrator, but your
resume shows that you only know about HPUX, IRIX, Solaris and FreeBSD."

> So, if you know of a small company that wants to get bigger, and
> wants to give a spin at promoting FreeBSD in this manner (and making
> money off it in a sustainable way), I would encourage you to
> encourage them.  I'm sure there are a fair number of FreeBSD
> developers who would like to work for such a company, if they thought
> it was viable.

I'll gladly jump ship to join such a company. Clue me if if anything
shows up on the radar.

David