Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 16:35:14 -0500
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>, "Andrew" <acs@fl.net.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User PPP and Internal PCI Modem

...the saga continues...

Figuring that maybe the kernel does not support com3 and com4,
I rebuilt the kernel with sio2 and sio3 support.
sio2 - irq5
sio3 - irq9

I also noticed that the modem is showing up at irq11.
Here is the report from my bios:

Bus No.         0
Device No.    9
Func No.        0
Vendor ID        12B9
Device ID    1008
Device Class    Simple COMM. Controller
IRQ                11

The irq 11 is troubling.
Not knowing what to do, I tried to experiment,
I built the kernel with com3 at irq 11 and then with com4 at
irq 11.

...still no change in the dmesg output, other than the irq number.

The Linux modem page talks about setting skip_test
in a startup script. I'm not sure this applies to FBSD.

I suppose that I could force the irqs on the pci slot through the bios,
but why would I get a different result than just setting the irq in the
kernel
to what the devices currently reads.
Why, when I match irqs, does this device not get detected by fbsd?

I would be very interested in any advice or similar experiences
that others have worked through.

Thanks
Jim