Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:43:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Rob Carmichael <robc@globalvc.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: keeping ports updated ...

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Rob Carmichael wrote:

 >On Friday, August 03, 2001 1:07 PM, scott@smnolde.com
 >[SMTP:scott@smnolde.com] wrote:
 >> On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Rob Carmichael wrote:
 >>
 >>  >Hello Questions,
 >>  >
 >>  >I have been using the ports system for a few years now but i feel i a
 >>  >missing something. Basically i install something and use it for a while
 >>  >and
 >>  >then when a newer version comes out i uninstall it and then reinstall
 >>  >it
 >>  >from the updated ports directory.
 >>  >Is there an easier way of keeping installed ports up to date ? I mean,
 >>  >can
 >>  >the files be kept up to date with CVS or do i have to uninstall the
 >>  >program
 >>  >everytime from my constantly updating ports directory ?
 >>  >
 >>  >regards,
 >>  >
 >>  >--
 >>  >Rob Carmichael
 >>  >

 >> Yes, by gosh, use cvsup.  This directory, /usr/share/examples/cvsup/,
 >> contains several templates to keep your source tree and ports tree up to
 >> date.
 >>
 >> Be sure you have cvsup-bin installed beforehand, then edit the supfile
 >> (in
 >> the dir mentioned above) for the nearest cvsup mirror.  The supfiles are
 >> documented and easy to use.  See the instructions in them.
 >
 >Scott,
 >
 >I do keep the ports tree updated with cvsup... what i was referring to was
 >programs i have already installed from the ports ... how do i keep them
 >up-to-date without reinstalling all the time ?
 >
 >> - Scott
 >
 >thanks for your help,
 >rob

My apologies for the misunderstanding.  Look for
/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrae

This package also includes the following utilities:
portinstall:    This helps you install new ports in a handy way.
                Equivalent to `portupgrade -N'.
portversion:    This is a replacement of pkg_version(8), which runs
                faster than pkg_version and is cooperative with
                portupgrade.
portsdb:        This is a tool to create, update or look up ports
                database, which is made from the ports index file.
pkg_deinstall:  This is a package deinstaller with wildcards and
                dependency recursion support.
pkg_glob:       This is a package glob expander with wildcards and
                dependency recursion support.
pkgdepfix:      This is an interactive tool to fix /var/db/pkg's
                @pkgdep vs. +REQUIRED_BY discrepancies, and stale or
                missing origins, optionally.

- Scott