Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 02:13:00 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Bob K <melange@yip.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: Cooling hard drives

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0003090216180.30352-100000@localhost> Bob K writes:
: I think there's more "professional" solutions out there at this point, but
: I've found that a case fan screwed on to the heatsinks salvaged from two
: dead CPU fans sitting on top of the drive works rather nicely.

My solution to the drive heating problem was to take an old box fan
from a IBM AT (or similar) and cut a circular hole in three of the
kick out pannels in front that the drive was behind.  I then mounted
the fan to said three panels, connected it to 12V and I was table to
reduce the temp of my IBM drive from 56C to 38C.  It looks nice, does
a damn fine job and is quieter than many of the smaller fans I've
found in the one kick panel high units.  Since I blow air OUT rather
than IN, I don't need a filter.

I desided to blow the air OUT since the other fan at the top of the
case blew air out and that the fans at the bottom of the case would
blow the air in.  There were plenty of holes on the sides for air
intake.  I had planned to have an intake fan at the bottom, but it
turns out that the CPU and the disk drives are staying cool enough w/o
it.

It almost looks like it belongs there, which is kinda scary...

Warner