Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 18:46:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        adrian@ubergeeks.com
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, eivind@yes.no, rssh@grad.kiev.ua, grog@lemis.com, wes@softweyr.com, tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System V init (was: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?)

> 	I guess we just see things differently.  I view the rc?.d
> directories and their name based ordering as a worse morass than the
> monolithic BSD rc's.  I rarely find them useful, and I rather like being
> able to page through the rc and quickly know what's going on.  This is no
> longer possible once it is broken into 30 or 40 files.

The point of the rc file discussion is to allow vendors to add things
to it, not merely to allow users to understand it.

As far as understanding goes, the SYSV stuff abstracts the concept
of services from the concept of procedures required to control an
individual service.

If you go in toward your understanding from an architectural
rather than a procedural view, you should in fact be happier with
the SYSV approach (e.g., "I care *what* happens; not *how*").

The criticisms of the SYSV approach, especially in reference to
Elvind's prototype (rather than the BSD status quo, which is rather
indefensible from any angle save "stick in the mud"), are largely
valid.  But that's not the point.  The SYSV approach is (A) better
than what BSD has now in terms of modularity and third party
extensibility and (B) *required* for Linux, IBCS2, and Solaris
compatability for third party applications that need to hook into
the startup and shutdown processes.

Feel free to propose any other approach that meets those same
design constraints and isn't the SYSV init system, and I think
you will find a lot of support.  But it's unconsciable to do
nothing and to let opportunities like those expressed in Larry
Ellison's COMDEX keynote pass FreeBSD by because of FreeBSD
being stuck in the mud.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---