Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 22:47:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Jay Nelson wrote:

> First -- Jordan -- since you're the main man in this, put the pencil
> to the paper and figure out what it would cost to mount a program of
> professional news releases -- including customer profiles. Look at the
> number of CD-ROMS sold and divide cost by CDs and add to CD cost. Look
> at the newsletter and consider subscription. Most of us can afford
> some extra bucks and would be happy to spend it for the credibility.
> Think in terms of two to three times per month for the news releases.

I can afford the extra few bucks...

> Second: poll the rest of us for contributions. Many of us are using
> FreeBSD in production environments. (Yeah, I'll volunteer -- even
> though I can't write worth a plug nickle.) With Yahoo and cdrom.com,
> all the ISPs out there and those of us in the commercial world, there
> _have_ to be some interesting stories.

I do tech support part time for an ISP that I belong to and they use BSDI
for most of their stuff but they just installed 2 FBSD 2.2.5 machines to do
NAT for 2 ADSL sites (both local high schools) and their local internal
LAN. I wanted to install a FBSD box to do NAT at the local public library
where I got to install an ADSL modem but it was nixed. I'll volunteer and
I like to think I can write somewhat coherently. <g>

> Third: for all of us who never bothered to register (which includes
> me) lets do it, so there is a reasonably accurate account of installed
> systems. Statistics don't mean much in the real world, but it's what
> made NT "great" and will help with the first point.

Hmm, what do you mean by register? I bought my disks from WC, isnt that
enought to register? I assume all of you folks with direct connections
that can acutally install FBSD via FTP in a reasonable time that have not
"registered"

Keith
CityLink
kwoody@citytel.net