Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 20:37:13 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@vitsch.net>
To:        "Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=" <des@des.no>
Cc:        Arch@freebsd.org, Sergey Matveychuk <sem@freebsd.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Freebsd-USB@freebsd.org, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject:   Re: Resend with subject: No more non-MPSAFE network device drivers, please!

On Monday 22 May 2006 16:10, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Per discussion at the developer summit, a significant rewrite of the
> > USB code is needed to make it MPSAFE.  Volunteers welcome.
>
> HP Selasky claims to have a working Giant-free USB stack:
(added him to the 'cc' list)

> http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd/index.html
>
> No idea how well it works, though.

I have been running his USB driver on a production server for months here=20
without a single problem. I use his ugen implementation to communicate with=
 a=20
custom made USB device. On FreeBSD's USB driver a stress test would fail=20
after max 40,000 requests. With his USB driver I have successfully made ove=
r=20
30,000,000 requests before stopping the test manually.

There is a problem with his code though. (At least, there was back when I l=
ast=20
looked at it, correct me if I'm wrong.) He has completely rewritten the OHC=
I,=20
UHCI and EHCI parts, but kept the original (network, storage, etc) drivers.=
=20
=46or the original drivers to work he has added some wrapper functions. Bac=
k=20
when I looked these wrappers didn't work out of the box for the devices I=20
have tried.
All "old" drivers need to be converter to "new world order" for them to wor=
k=20
properly.

That's the only problem I have been having with his driver : You get a bett=
er=20
USB stack, but with less working drivers.
I think it would be great to get his code into -current, but some developer=
s=20
would have to help out to convert the existing drivers.

=2D-
Daan