Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:10:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Damage <damage_z@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RC1 update dropped 2nd fxp interface

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Damage wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Compaq DL380 I upgraded from 4.3-STABLE to 4.4-RC1 via
> make world and installing a new kernel (GENERIC has always worked
> from update to update, and I used GENERIC here).
>
> There are two interfaces.  One is an integrated Intel EEPro/100,
> and I have a secondary NC3123 PCI NIC (Compaq's version of
> EEPro/100).  Both were working fine as fxp0 and fxp1 prior to the
> update.  After the update, fxp1 is gone.  After running MAKEDEV,
> et al, I can't get the system to see this interface anymore.

There were some PCI-related breakages that only affected a handful of
machines, such as Compaq servers, because Compaq's PCIBIOS is
braindead.  Bitch at Compaq to fix this problem, if you can.  Changes
were made to work around this by default -- update to the latest
-STABLE and all should work fine.  At least August 22 -STABLE is
working fine on my Proliant ML530.

> Admittedly I'm a little short on sleep, and I think I overlooked
> something obvious.  I have other systems (non-Compaq) with dual
> integrated EEPro/100's, which updated fabulously.

Those systems don't have braindead PCIBIOSes. :-)

> A secondary side effect of this upgrade has left my floppy drive
> hosed.  Mounting the drive spews out a lot of errors, and 'mount'
> saturates the CPU and won't kill -9.

I haven't used the floppy lately on my ML530 in FreeBSD, so I don't
know.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet