Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 21:34:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: news server behaviour

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >730MB, sd1 is Quantum 1 GB. aha0 is 1542cf with 8Mbps scsi bus.
> >That all sounds reasonable, but I'm not so sure about the stats from top
> >and systat -vmstat.  Top shows innd (1.5.1) at 60-70% CPU (39% user, 50%
> >system).  Systat shows similar figures.
> >
> >Is the CPU utilisation normal for the situation?  In a previous incarnation
> >the box was a Linux machine doing the same job under a different admin,
> >and CPU for innd was more like 5-20% with no readers.
>
>    A couple of comments: FreeBSD might be accounting for the system CPU time
> more accurately than Linux. I also see that you're using a 1542 with > 16MB
> of RAM...which means that bounce buffers will be involved for about half of

I forgot about the bounce buffers having an effect.  I guess the best
thing to do is dig out an ahc 2940 and see what the effect is (apart from
constructing a "proper" news server)

> the I/O. This could have a significant effect on system time when doing lots
> of disk I/O. You didn't mention which version of FreeBSD you're using, but
> you might want to try enabling the Pentium bcopy optimization if it's not
> already enabled (make sure no npx0 flags are set). Is expire running? That
> might help explain the high numbers.

Expire is not running.  FreeBSD version is 2.2.2-RELEASE.  npx0 config is
from GENERIC.  How do I enable the bcopy optimization?

Thanks,

Danny