Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:07:23 -0400
From:      William Mansfield <william.mansfield@gmail.com>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <kat-free@kaqelectronics.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Big Problem

I had a similar problem with a database environment a while ago.
Throughput on the DB (5-6TB) was aweful due to some really poor
coding, so we needed options to speed up the indexes and such. This
was on a 16way Itanium2 Unisys box attached to EMC 8830 storage to
give people an idea how bad the DB and the queries were set up. We
eventually scrapped the project due to overruns in cost, time, and
efficiency.

The only real solution we could come up with was a product from Texas
Memory Systems called TerraRAMSan. It's a bit spendy and power hungry,
but allows you to have ram based LUNs addressable via the SAN. Stripe
12 or so of these together into a volume and you should be able to get
some performance gain.

http://www.superssd.com/products/tera-ramsan/