Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:54:23 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        DragonRyder <dragonr@xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Prompt Help

* DragonRyder (dragonr@xmission.com) [020221 09:44]:
> I am new to UNIX and FreeBSD. I just started the first month of a
> three month course on UNIX Programming. I am enjoying the class and
> look forward to learning more about this OS.
>
> My question is this...
> I don't like using pwd to determine where I am everytime I go to use a
> command. Is there a way of changing the prompt so I don't have to use
> the pwd all the time?
>
> NOTE: The server that I am using for my class is my own hard drive. We
> reformat the drives and install UNIX on a daily bases. Therefore, if I
> mess up on the commands and instructions you give me, I can always
> install and try again.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Jef Sullivan

Jef,

Although you do not mention what shell you are using, I will offer a
suggestion for a simple bash prompt that I use. I'm sure others will offer
other prompts for other shells.

At the prompt, type 'export PS1="\h:\w >"

This will result in a prompt similar to the following:

dellar:/etc >

To make this change permanant, add the line above to your .bashrc in your home
directory. Good luck in your class.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I
was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx