Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:42:01 +0100
From:      "Martin O'Nions" <martin.o'nions@catch22.demon.co.uk>
To:        "'David Magda'" <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>, "'Harlan Stenn'" <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NTPD and SecureLevel

It's configurable. By default, ntpd will step or 'jump' corrections =
greater
than 128ms and slew anything smaller. Since it's normally running
continually in the background, I'd consider it unusual for ntpd to need =
make a >128ms correction except perhaps on boot (when any drift in the =
CMOS
clock will need to be rectified). You can however force it to always =
correct
time using slewing by specifying the -x option (bearing in mind it takes =
33
minutes to slew 1 second). You can also change the step threshold from =
128ms
if you really feel the need, using the tinker command in ntp.conf IIRC.

If your machine is going to be regularly powered down for a period, then =
an
ntpdate at startup seems reasonable. If it'll be running most of the =
time
though with ntpd active, it shouldn't be making anything more than very
minor slewed corrections, albeit on a frequent basis.

At least, that's how it's always worked for me...