Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:07:52 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading hurts 5.3?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Where these computations in which all threads were doing pretty much the
> same thing?

Not exactly the same algorithm and on different set of data.

> And was it floating-point?

Yes.

> (Doesn't the processor have just one FPU, or something like that?)

I don't really know (I made this test almost for fun and curiosity), but
I really supposed this must be true. Anyway I saw both CPU at 100%.

> An AMD processor will also melt or catch fire if the CPU fan fails,
> whereas an Intel processor won't.

In the past.
Nowadays they have some sort of protection.
BTW I've already seen a couple of (old) Athlons with a failing fan; they
run overheated probably for months with occasional system lockups, but
they are now working good with a new fan.
I'll stop here, we are going OT (and flaming :)...

  bye
	av.