Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 05:02:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   More  961006-SNAP comments

A few more comments on the latest snap.

1. I tried to build a new kernel, and the build produces a ton of
   warnings about unused parameters, signed/unsigned comparisons, and
   other things. Maybe it's just more verbosity than in the past, but
   all these warnings are not pleasant (that is, I would not like to
   get all of them from a CD distribution!)

2. I copied parts of the distribution on a local partition and completed
   the install at a later time. The progress line reports a speed of
   ~30 KB/s (and even lower when there is a kernel build going on).
   I can't figure out why it is so slow, even if the disk heads are
   jumping back and forth between source and destination, I would
   expect buffered reads before gunzipping the archive, isn't it ?

   As a reference, extracting from the net, on the same disk (but a
   different machine) was running at 300-400 KB/s according to the
   progress line.

3. there is a "locate.pl" file in /sys/pci. leftover from something ?

4. since there is a nice mouse support in text mode now (and I am
   enjoying it more and more) it could be the case to try to exploit
   it in the installation process. Don't know how hard would it be to
   integrate it into the current code.

5. In the install menu, when I try to select "Media" to select a
   different FTP server, it does not allow me to do so. I have to
   choose a different media, obtain a partial success (e.g. specify
   NFS, or file system, but not CDROM because it detects that there
   isn't one) and then change again to FTP.

>From what I have seen this far, there appears not to be functional
problems in the code, but perhaps some "youth" problems in the install
code. Maybe it's worth waiting the next snap before putting things on a
CD ?

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/