Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 16:51:07 -0500
From:      "Adam M Ryan" <adam@powersurge.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mrtg monitoring ethernet card

Currently I have setup ucd-snmpd from the ports collection, also I installed
mrtg from ports.  I would like to monitor the traffic on the ethernet card,
more or less totals in and out.  ( /usr/port/net/ntop -- has security
problems? )

When I use the configmaker I don't get any errors, but when I check my mrtg
generated files I see a huge input, 250kb.  MRTG says its monitoring rl0,
which is my ethernet device.

But using netstat -w 100 I only see an input of around 25kbs.  What could be
causing the confusion with the input errors?  Do I have snmpd setup
incorrectly?  Has anyone seen any problems like this?

-----mrtg config----
 cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /home/httpd/mrtg'  \
          --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' \
          --output /home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg    \
           public@IPADDRESSOF MACHINE

Adam