Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:06:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fwd: Open Watcom license issues

Hi;

This was posted today (on a slightly different form) on the Openwatcom
newsgroups. I thought some people might like to know.

Also... NO, they are not considering the BSDL and please keep me off any
licensing bikeshed that might start here :).

__________________
Hi All,

I have good news on the Open Watcom license issues. We had a conference
call with Sybase this afternoon to discuss the license issues, and
Sybase is considering taking the suggestion of Bart Oldeman and
incorporating the changes that Apple made in their APL 2.0 license for
the Open Watcom Public License 2.0.

We are also looking specifically at this issues of runtime library
redistribution, and more importantly proprietry programs linked against
the runtime library. If necessary Sybase will consider allowing the
runtime library binaries, and binary code linked with the runtime
library, to be licensed under a different license. The license would be
more like the runtime library license you find with any regular
commercial compiler such as Visual C++ or Borland C++.

To that end however we are also considering whether a few modifications
to the Open Watcom license 2.0 would alleviate the need for for a
separate runtime library license. If there are specific areas of the the
proposed 2.0 license you feel conflict with the needs of commercial
developers, please let me know so we can discuss this with Sybase. More
importantly if you have suggestions for how to make the license better,
let me know also.

For reference, here is a PDF copy of the proposed Sybase V2.0 license,
along with a redline marked version so you can see the changes from the
V1.0 license:

http://www.openwatcom.org/ftp/license-2.pdf

http://www.openwatcom.org/ftp/license-2-redline.pdf

--

Thanks!

--
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology!