Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:03:16 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Latest -current kernel panics on boot

I've just (finally been able to) build and boot a new kernel, but I
don't get as far as mounting the root file system.  I get a fatal page
fault in ufs_ihashget when the swapper tries to mount /dev/wds02a
(yup, that's right, and I don't know where it gets it from).  It's
before the swap partition gets mounted, so I don't have a dump.  I
wrote down a trace, but I'm assuming that we don't need that level of
detail, so I won't type it in unless somebody wants it.

Since Mike Smith sent some information about changing /etc/fstab round
this morning, I changed my fstab entry from

  /dev/wd0a			/		ufs	rw 1 1

  /dev/wd0s1a			/		ufs	rw 1 1

My disk is (it turns out) not dedicated (can we get rid of that word
"dangerously", please?), so it should require the new version.  Here's
the fdisk output:

=== root@freebie (/dev/ttyp1) /home/grog 4 -> fdisk wd0
******* Working on device /dev/rwd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=2485 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=2485 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 2504817 (1223 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

This doesn't seem to be problem, though: it doesn't work either way.
The old kernel only works with wd0a, and the new kernel doesn't work
with either fstab entry.

Greg