Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:25:42 +0100
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        Didier Wiroth <didier.wiroth@mcesr.etat.lu>
Cc:        "'Thomas Spreng'" <spreng@socket.ch>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing additional ports in a jail!

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:04:32AM +0100, Didier Wiroth typed:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> >where have you read that it's not recommended to do so? I'm installing
> >ports from inside the jail all the time and have not encountered any
> >problems so far.
>
> I have read this from the "Absolute BSD - The ultimate guide to
> FreeBSD", the author recommends not to build from the ports as it could
> take up a lot of CPU times.
>
> Actually I would like to recompile and install the apache2 daemon! I
> thought that this would be a real big task as the machine also hosts a
> primary dns.
>
> Are there other people installing their jail software from the ports
> collection, and compiling it from inside the jail?

I usually follow this procedure (on the host system, not inside the jail):

cd /usr/ports/<someport>
make
mount_null /usr/ports /jails/jailX/usr/ports
chroot /jails/jailX
cd /usr/ports/<someport>
make install
exit
mount_null /usr/ports /jails/jailY/usr/ports
chroot /jails/jailY
... etcetera

So I only have to compile once.

cheers,