Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:08:20 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC/104 platform recommendations?

> Anyone got FreeBSD running on a small (and perhaps inexpensive) PC/104
> platform?

I've run it on several PC104 platforms.  I have yet to find an
"inexpensive" PC104 CPU card though; 386sx-based ones are still about
cost-equivalent with low-end Pentiums here.

Mostly with Advantech cards, and a couple of nonames.

>  I'm thinking about an application that would require either
> a 486 or Pentium with ethernet and some parallel I/O.

For a 486 or P5 you are looking at a 5.25" drive-sized board; many of
these have NE2000-clone ethernet onboard and PC104.

> The thing
> that gives me pause looking at the glossies are how useful Flash is
> on these puppies, and how "compatible" the VGA/LCD display hardware
> might be..

The LCD hardware seems to usually be C&T 655xx stuff, which is well
supported by XFree86.  Depending on how the Flash is implemented, you
can use it as a big floppy (ie. build a kernel with compiled-in MFS),
or ignore it and use something else.  Most of the drive-sized boards
have IDE and floppy controllers as well.

mike