Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:37:06 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] Update to clang 3.4

On 5 January 2014 08:00, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Second, the shipped version of gdb in our tree is very old, and is
> basically unmaintained.  Nobody in their right mind should ever use it
> for debugging, unless they have no other choice.  As soon as the in-tree
> version of lldb is in workable state, we should get rid of the base gdb.
>
> I think the only tricky task left is our custom kgdb hacks, which must
> be ported to some newer version of gdb soon, or preferably to lldb.  I
> have no idea if anybody is working on those.

Our in-tree gdb is not particularly useful, but it also supports some
debug information that both the ports gdb and upstream gdb do not.  I
am unaware of anyone working on bringing those changes and kgdb
support to the ports gdb; I don't expect I'll be able to.

I will work on LLDB kernel debugging support although I don't have a
specific timeline yet.