Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:24:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        thomas@gibfest.dk
Cc:        lev@FreeBSD.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merge ping+ping6 and traceroue+traceroute6 to single utilities?

> > I strongly disagree with the "almost always want a specific address
> > family". I normally want to verify that the IP at the other end is
> > alive, or get some idea of how to get there. If I want a specific
> > address family I'm very happy to use -4 / -6 options.
>
> The IP at the other end will, by definition, always be either v4 or v6,
> so yes, you do want a specific address family - namely the family your
> IP belongs to.

If I have an *IP address* (either IPv4 or IPv6), ping/traceroute can
select the correct address family automatically, given the format of
the address.

If I have a *name*, to be used with a DNS lookup:

- The name might have only an IPv4 address (A). ping/traceroute can
select the correct adress family automatically.

- The name might have only an IPv6 address (AAAA). ping/traceroute can
select the correct adress family automatically.

- The name might have both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address. Only in this
case is it necessary to actually specify the address family *if it is
important for you*. (There are cases where I don't care, and would be
happy to let the system choose the address family. YMMV.)

Thus in the three of these four cases ping/traceroute can determine
the correct address family automatically. In only one of the cases
is it (sometimes) necessary to specify the address family.

I definitely want a unified IPv4/IPv6 ping/traceroute.