Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:42:39 +0100
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        Lu!s Croker <lcroker@megared.net.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video4Linux ! HELP !!!!!

On Thursday 18 January 2001 23:44, you wrote:
> Hi Danny...
>
>    I see that you have worked with  video streaming.. can you help me ??
>
>    I need to set a live video streaming server .. The company wants to
> stream a Tv channel in the web... and I have been trying many servers, but
> I do'nt know which  is the best....  I dont want a Winserver... I work with
> FreeBSd..  Which server and encoder do you recommend me to use ???  I want
> software whit quality... and don't care that it is commercial... !
>
>    I have installed Real Server...and it works fine but the encoder
> (realproducer dont works)...
>
> I have a Osprey 100/101 Video card in /dev/bktr, a soundblaster audio card
> and a Canon VCC3 camera... FreeBSD 4.2 Release. pentium III, 256 ram,
> etc...

OK, let me try to get you started.

Server should be no problem. But the encoder client... You can't use BSD, you
might be able to use Linux. Otherwise you're stuck with windows.
If they're willing to pay for a commercial server license (could be upto
$15000 or something!) they might be willing to buy an all-in encoding
solution. There's a company who's name I've forgotten (sorry) but they sell
19" sized devices where you plug in a cam and out goes the Real or Windows
media stream through ISDN or ethernet. Saw them at IBC 2000 and they looked
pretty good. It runs embedded NT and no, they don't intend to make a cheaper
linux/bsd solution that does only real and maybe quicktime (if the linux qt
server ever gets anywhere), I've asked :-( I have a brochure somewhere but
can't find it now.

Otherwise, I'd go for Linux if you want to do encoding and serving on unix.
Use Debian, it's a fine OS. And don't do both on the same machine, encoding
is always very cpu intensive. I can't say much about the encoder stability on
linux though, because RealProducer doesnt accept my composite input (could be
that it freaks because its PAL dunno). With S-video connection you should be
fine I reckon. For the server box, all you need is much RAM and storage if
you intend to archive. Get a service license for 100 concurrent viewers, that
way you can upgrade to 400 or 1000 if needed. And if you're able to use a
network that does multicasting (sattelite or so), use it, its cheaper on
bandwidth. Most likely though you will be stuck with a situation where every
player receives another copy of the live stream, so you'll need bandwidth.

It's also possible to use one box to forward the stream to another realserver
that in turns serves it to the clients. You might want to use a free
realserver license on the box that does the encoding for that purpose. This
means that the big server can be co-located (cheaper than having a 4 Mbit or
higher connection to your office just for Real) and you'll only need a pipe
from office to the hosting ISP for one single stream. If you have something
like 2 Mbit at your office now you should be able to just upstream to the
co-located realserver over the Internet without bogging down your entire
connection.

FYI: I played with Real a lot, but have recently for the time being gave up
my plans to start a content hosting business for Real, including live
upstreaming for consumers. Reasons are the costs both for the server and for
bandwidth and also the bad economic climate for new dot.coms at the moment.
But I had already done most of my research by then. I might still give it a
try in a few months.

Well, hope this helps. Good luck. If your company likes to spend $$ I
volunteer to be a consultant for this project, I could use the money, because
I've already quit my old job ;-)

Danny