Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:16:09 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Regular Expression Syntax

in message <003701c19f02$d6024af0$0301a8c0@bigdaddy>,
wrote Drew Tomlinson thusly...

did you really try egrep?  perhaps you used another grep or mistyped
"portupgrade"(?).

> I know from
> reading somewhere that I'm supposed to be able to take the
> "portupgrade|cvsup" and negate the expression to mean "every line
> except those containing portupgrade or cvsup".

over here, following two commands don't produce anything (thus
extended grep w/ -v option works)....

pkg_info | egrep -v  'portupgrade|cvsup' | egrep 'portupgrade|cvsup'
pkg_info | grep -vE  'portupgrade|cvsup' | egrep 'portupgrade|cvsup'

...or you could just use awk to do work of grep...

pkg_info | awk '/portupgrade|cvsup/ {print "pkg_deinstall " $1}'
pkg_info | awk '! /portupgrade|cvsup/ {print "pkg_deinstall " $1}'

  - parv