Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 20:39:26 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        dwalton@acm.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with upgrade

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:19:25 -0700
> From: Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I recently did a cvsup upgrade from 4.4 to 4.6.2 on my thinkpad.  At the
> same time, I upgraded the mwavem port to the latest version.  The modem
> was working fine before the upgrade, but now it's broken.
>
> 'dmesg' reports:
>
>   sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>   mwave0: <mwave> on isa0
>   Mwave Modem, UART settings IRQ 0x3   IO 0x2f8
>   sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
>   sio1: type 16550A
>   pid 197 (mwavem), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>   Oct 16 20:56:26 thinkpad770z /kernel: pid 197 (mwavem), uid 0: exited on
> signal 11 (core dumped)
>

> What might be the problem here?

Dave,

The line from the dmesg output is the key one. It says that your BIOS
does not think IRQ3 is used. I'm not sure what this might have to do
with the cvsup, though. The coincidence bothers me.

To get started, try using ps2 to check the BIOS. Either boot windows
or the standalone floppy version and print the status of the internal
modem. It should be enabled and be using IRQ3 and 10. You can check on
IRQs that are mapped with 'ps2 ? irq'.

I am no longer regularly using a system with an mWave, but I will fire
it up Monday and install 4.6.2 if I have not heard any word on whether
you had any luck.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)