Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:02:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum crash... how to proceed.

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> writes:

Doug> 	Well, "obvious" here is a relative term Jordan. :) It seems to
Doug> me that he was asking for just the information you provided, but
Doug> since he actually did what we ask people to do (send in full
Doug> info, traces, etc.) let's not jump his case for not already
Doug> knowing how to debug trace backs, eh?

Doug> Doug (who had to learn this stuff too, way back when) --
Doug> "Welcome to the desert of the real."

:)

Well... I don't know if I can sensibly identify where the next stack
frame is --- visual inspection leads quicker to sleepyness than
anything else.

The only thing I've come up with is to add a unique "string" to the
top (and/or bottom) of the stack variables.   This string could help
me find the stack frame (something more "obvious" to look for)
... it's also possible that one could check the string on entry/exit
to key vinum functions ... but there is a chance that we're not in the
vinum code when things crash.

Dave.