Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:17:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Patryk Zadarnowski <pat@jantar.org>, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, SteveB <admin@bsdfan.cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel type

> > Kernel threads out of the box?
>
> The Mach kernel makes use of a thread primitive and a task primitive;
> however, their BSD OS personality is largely single-threaded with
> something approximately equivilent to our Giant -- they refer to this as a
> "Funnel", through which access to the BSD code is funneled so as to
> prevent problems.

Interesting.

> My understanding from a brief chat while in their
> Cupertino office is that they are in the process of gradually pushing
> locks down for specific subsystems (networking, etc), in much the same
> style we are.  While there, I suggested that closer coordination between
> our development teams could save a lot of redundant work, given that the
> primitives we're using are probably quite similar (although presumably
> non-identical).  It would be great if someone wanted to step up and help
> Apple coordinate their work with our work better, as it would allow more
> code sharing and more rapid development, as well as more wide-spread
> testing.  If anyone is interested in looking at doing this, I have a list
> of relevent contacts in their kernel group.

The reason I mentioned the above is that Apple has HotSpot (Sun's fast
Java VM) running under OS/X, which requires kernel threads.

Until FreeBSD's kernel threads are a bit more 'user-friendly', we can't
do anything with HotSpot.  (As I understand it, HotSpot runs very well
on the OS/X, so they seems to have gotten that part right...)

Nate