Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:34:17 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org, Riccardo Giuntoli <taglio@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: very heavy load avarage

--nextPart2224196.I7V43yhbIm

On Friday 10 June 2005 18:10, Riccardo Giuntoli wrote:
> Hi folks,
> i've got a server with FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE and pf with a gigabit
> ethernet interface directly on internet. Two C class are routed over
> it, and i sell shell account for irc processes. As you know on irc
> many times the server is under DDOS attack many time up to 100 mb/s.
> But with one gigabit connection the problem isn't the band of the
> attack, my server's cpu load avarage goes extremly high, you can
> verify here:
>
> http://www.6shells.net/graphs/graph_14.html
>
> What can i do for decrease it?

If I am reading the graph right, this is load (i.e. number of processes abl=
e=20
to run, but waiting for a CPU).  High values of that usually suggest the=20
problem is a local user fork-bombing your system or some other daemon/servi=
ce=20
gone wild.  Try to cut down the number of processes a (shell-)user may have=
=20
via login.conf and see if that helps.  If it is not on of the (ab)users, tr=
y=20
to nail down the daemon that does it and figure out why.

I don't think pf will be a lot of help against this type of attack - unless=
=20
this is your IRCd forking.  In that case you could try to limit the states =
a=20
single IP can create (see "max-src-states" in pf.conf) or rate-limit the=20
connections with CURRENT's "max-src-conn-rate".

=2D-=20