Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:04:59 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@alaskaparadise.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Disappointed with version 6.0

--nextPart2833564.lMD9vSE2ZN

On Saturday 11 March 2006 02:42, Peter wrote:
> --- Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:57:59PM -0500, Peter wrote:
> > > I'm setting up a new server on 6.0 I've been planning for a long
> >
> > time
> >
> > > and I am very disappointed with two critical issues.  My
> >
> > motherboard is
> >
> > > the ASUS K8V-X SE that I chose because it was listed as compatible
> >
> > at
> >
> > > the FreeBSD/amd64 Project:
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html
> > >
> > > I wonder if going back to 5.4 might help?
> > >
> > > Onto the problems...
> >
> > You might have more luck if you also talk to amd64@FreeBSD.org
>
> I'm not sure who this is but I'll look into it.
>
> > > 2.  I can't use my USB ports!
> > >
> > > I get a line like this for each of my ports:
> > >
> > > uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xb800-0xb81f irq 21 at
> >
> > device
> >
> > > 16.0 on pci0
> > > uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> >
> > OK, but what is the problem?
>
> When something is plugged into a port and the system is powered up it
> will freeze at the POST level with no errors.  It just sits there.

I had similar problems with an Asus K8V a couple of months ago. Seems a lot=
 of=20
those boards had bios problems. Make sure you're using the latest bios=20
upgrade. Fixed it for me.

Beech

=2D-=20

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - akbeech@alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com