Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:15:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Adam=20Nealis?= <adamnealis@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86-4.1.0_4 and fonts

I often start to pen e-mails like this to the list, only to find
that the act of writing out the problem in what I hope is a clear
way leads me to solve the problem. Not this time!

I have a mental block when it come to X, and also when it comes
to fonts. Despite reading /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.fonts
nad the mkfontdir(1) man page I am none the wiser. I am trying
to find out how to eliminate the messages (below) that I get when
I start X. Also, the last one is preventing me from trying out
AbiWord.

I'm on 'BSD 4.3-RELEASE, and I tested my new ADSL link by
downloading and installing the current XFree86 sources - 4.1.0_4.
These are the error messages recorded in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, \
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, \
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW/, \
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts, \
removing from list!

I have fonts.dir and fonts.scale files (confusingly called
"directories"). The mkfontdir man page and README.fonts ramble
on about using the -e flag but these docs do not make sense to
me.

for example, README.font says:

$ cd /usr/local/share/fonts/Type1
$ mkfontdir -e /usr/X11R6/lib/font/encodings

which I dutifully did, only to create a file of exactly 0 bytes
called /usr/X11R6/lib/font/encodings/fonts.dir

So what painfully obvious thing am I doing wrong?