Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:23:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        evergreenicecream@comcast.net (CARRIE WUERFEL)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mucking with other drive

> I am currently stuck running Windows Me on a Dell Desktop Pentium 3 1ghrtz with 512mb ram.  I recently dusted off a old hard drive that contains a whole 2 gigs of hard drive space.  I have installed the hard disk drive and am wanting to install "FreeBsd" on it.  Before I go about mucking things up, I just wanted to make sure that when I go to install FreeBsd it will not mess up the existing hard drive.  I have business and payroll progs on it.  I am also wondering if when installing there is an actual question asked by the installation prog for destination.  Sorry to be asking a stupid question, and I swear I read through your installation info until my eyes dried out and couldn't find the answers, so that is why I am bothering you.  I did try to find the answer first.  Anyways any help would be cool as I would really like to start relearning another operating system.

If you do the install on the new old drive, it will not muck with
the MS drive other than to write the MBR to make it know how to
boot the FreeBSd drive.

Now, of course, you could squeeze the MS junk down and install FreeBSD
in a separate slice on the same drive as the MS junk.   But, that is
a different story.

////jerry