Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:15:25 +0100
From:      Nigel Roles <ngr@symbionics.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Need help choosing a new SCSI card

Symbios do an 896 based card called a Symbios 22910. These you may need to
buy via LSI Logic, which I agree is not good. This is a 64 bit card, so
check that the motherboard you have has proper 32 bit sockets. Mine didn't
so I had to 'trim' the end with a soldering iron to get the card in.

This card has dual internal and external connectors, all wide, i.e. no
50 way narrow connector. I use a converter on the card to attach a 50
way cable. The converter needss no terminator for the wide portion since it
is so close to the chip.

If you can get Adaptec for $159 then this is not cheaper!

I would have thought that getting 2 Tekram DC390U2Ws would be a better bet
since they come with loads of cables and connectors and auto switching
terminators, i.e. you can mix LVDS and Ultra on a cable and get the best
from both.

Intraserver also do an 896 card but I have no experience of it.
AMI do a motherboard (MegarumII) with the 896 on board.