Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 2020 16:13:25 +0200
From:      Moritz Schmitt <moritz@schmi.tt>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   When to set / keep MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE?

Hi,

I recently took over maintainership of devel/gindent, and I'm in the
process of cleaning it up.

In its Makefile MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE is set and I'm trying to figure out if
it's acutally needed or not. Subversion's log has the following entry:

        r244490 | pav | 2009-11-20 00:41:55 +0100 (Fri, 20 Nov 2009) | 4 lines

        - Mark MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE

        Reported by:    pointyhat

This commit message is undoubtedly correct, but alas, not very
convincing. And unfortunately, I couldn't find the report by pointyhat.

If I remove MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE, the port seems to build without any
problems at all. I also couldn't find any restrictions specified in the
source of GNU indent. However, from this we cannot deduce that it's safe
to build the port in parallel.

How do porters usually deal with such a situation?

Best,
Moritz