Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 11:07:52 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "D. Alex Neilson" <neilson@purple.nugate.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Problem from 2.2.6 to 3.2

	I hate to say but I have some bad news for you.

"D. Alex Neilson" wrote:

>         Problems upgrading from 2.2.6 to 3.2

	Most people recommend that you upgrade to 2.2.8-Stable before attempting
the branch jump, although it's hard to tell if that's the problem here.

> 1. Started with an i386 2.2.6 system which worked fine.
>
> 2. Got and installed the 3.2-RELEASE source tree.

	Did you get it from the CD? If so there is some good news.

> 3. Did a "make aout-to-elf-build" and "*-install"; all seemed to go well.

	This is another problem, the appropriate step to take is 'make upgrade',
the other targets are remnants from older methods of upgrading.

	At this point it's nearly impossible to determine what kind of state your
system is in. I would suggest that you either use the CD's, or the ftp
method of doing an install. Ideally you would want to wipe your freebsd
installation and start over (you did take backups before you started,
right?), but if that's not possible, try doing the installation and
specifying the same partition sizes and locations. Often times that will
preserve the existing data (what's not overwritten by the installation that
is).

	If you are going to use the ftp method of installation I recommend that
you visit releng3.freebsd.org and get the latest 3.2-Stable snapshot. There
are a number of small, silly things that were fixed shortly after the 3.2
release.

Good luck, and I hope this helps,

Doug