Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 02:25:47 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Yury Tarasievich <grog@grsu.by>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: documentation on kernel locks, mutexes?

Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> I need to port some driver from linux to freebsd and, somehow,
> I can't find documentation on kernel locks and mutexes.
> There are no man pages, links from handbook are broken, and search on
> freebsd site gives nothing (besides the handbook itself).
>
> Where can I find some docs?

Kernel documentation is poor, because interfaces are not as
fixed in stone as you might expect them to be to encourage
third party developement and porting efforts like yours.

Your best bet is to pick a driver for an existing device that
is similar in operation to the device whose driver you are in
the process of porting, and use it as a guide to tell you
where and how to lock.

-- Terry