Date:      Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:36:05 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help diagnosing eclipse freezes

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Micah wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I asked a similar question on freebsd-questions but got few responses.
>> When I start eclipse it takes 3 minutes 20 seconds to start (that's
>> longer than FreeBSD, x.org, and KDE combined!)  I might be able to
>> work with that, but the other freeze occurs during editing.  I created
>> a simple helloWorld java project, started typing "System.out.println"
>> but only got the first few characters typed before it locked up.
>> After waiting a minute or two it comes back.  When it coems back I can
>> sometimes type five or six lines of System.out's, or sometimes only a
>> few characters, before it freezes up again.
>>
>> I've turned off the automatic updates scheduler on startup (hoping to
>> shorten the startup time), and the "Auto-Activation" in the "Code
>> Assist" part of the Java Editor in preferences.  Neither has helped.
>>
>> System details:
>> AMD64 3000+ based, 1gb RAM with i386 version of FreeBSD.
>> trisha# uname -a
>> FreeBSD trisha.eidolonworld 5.4-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7 #0:
>> Fri Sep  9 19:10:20 PDT 2005
>> root@trisha.eidolonworld:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TRISHA  i386
>>
>> I have the native jdk-1.4.2p7_2 and jdk-1.5.0p2_1 installed, with
>> JAVA_VERSION set to 1.4 in my user's .cshrc (I had this problem before
>> installing jdk1.5 too).  I have eclipse-3.1.1 installed (it happened
>> on 3.1_3 as well).
>>
>> Any help in debugging/fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated,
>> Micah
>

> Never heard of something like that again. Do you get any errors in the
> log (workspace/.metadata/.log)? Some wild guesses:
> - Do you have spell checking enabled?
> - Do you have many non-default plugins installed?
> - Is DNS resolving working in the system?
> - Do you get similar behavior in any other Java applications?
> Also, is this the default eclipse installation, or have you built it
> using WITH_FOO or WITHOUT_FOO options? Also, which version of gnome/gtk
> is this on?
>
> Panagiotis

Thanks for the response,

There is no workspace/.metadata/.log to check.  Just .lock, .plugins,
and version.ini.

Spell check is disabled.  I did not install any plugins.  DNS appears to
be working:
trisha% host freebsd.org
freebsd.org has address 216.136.204.21
freebsd.org mail is handled by 10 mx1.freebsd.org.
trisha% host www.freebsd.org
www.freebsd.org has address 216.136.204.117
www.freebsd.org mail is handled by 10 mx1.freebsd.org.

Poseidon and ArgoUML run just fine without freezes.  When Eclipse
freezes poseidon works just fine (don't know why I checked that, but I
did :).  None of my coursework has these freezes.

Eclipse 3.1_3 was installed via make install (no other options), and
3.1.1 was installed using portupgrade eclipse.  I have gtk-2.6.10_1 &
gtk-1.2.10_13 installed and it looks like Eclipse is dependant on the
2.6 one.  Gnome is not installed, a few gnome packages are though:
gnome-icon-theme, gnomehier, gnomekeyring, gnomemimedata, gnomevfs2,
libgnome, libgnomecanvas, libgnomeui.  I update my installed ports about
once a week, and those are up-to-date as of yesterday.

Running top during a freeze shows that java is taking all my processor
time.  Oddly enough the system does not feel sluggish as I'd think it
should when so much processor time is being used.

Is there a way I could trigger a stack trace durring one of these
freezes to see where it's at when it does this?

Thanks again,
Micah