Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:23:37 -0500
From:      freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu
To:        jacks@sage-american.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail POP Lock

On 15 Feb 2002 at 12:05, jacks@sage-american.com wrote:

> I've just now set up a mail server using sendmail. Now, I see that
> there is a constant lock ".sageame.pop" on the main mail box
> "sageame". Popper installed and sendmail is configured. What did I
> forget to do to cause this freezeup....?

 What do your logs indicate?

 We see this when a user starts downloading email and gets
disconnected. The popper session can take up to 5 minutes before it
times out and puts the mailboxes back in place. Sometimes it just goes
to mars and we have to kill it manually and rebuild the mailboxes like
this:

You have to be the SuperUser.

do a:

ps aux |grep popper

and get the Process ID Number for the popper session attached
to the client in question.

Kill the popper process, do a:

kill -9 number

This is kinda yucky, as it now leaves the mail in a sorry state.

Go to /var/mail and do a:

ll | grep username

You need to see if any new mail has arrived. If true, you will
now have two mailboxes with mail that belong to the client.

1) .username.pop
2) username

You need to put all this back into one mailbox. Try:

cat .username.pop username > new.username

Then delete the two originals, do a:

rm .username.pop username

Then move the 'new' mailbox back, do a:

mv new.username username

Probably have to chown lusername username on it too

Great fun.

gf