Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:04:18 -0500
From:      steve fox <steve.fox@webhelp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   startx hangs when KDE2.2 starts as non-root user

Hello,

I've got FreeBSD 4.4 running KDE2.2, can only get X to start as root, and
only with 'startx' or 'xinit' commands.  XDM and WDM fire up, but will not
start any window manager, including KDE, as either root or a normal user.

I've installed xwrapper from the ports collection (by commenting out the
check for XFree86 v3.x.x in Makefile).  When I run startx as as normal user,
KDE begins but hangs on the 'loading peripherals' stage of starting.  I've
edited my .xinitrc files so as to change the window manager, such as "exec
wmaker" instead of "exec startkde" and have had similar results with startx
as non-root user.

KDM doesn't even start, it complains of not being able to write to a file in
/var ...

I've followed other advice from this forum, such as running "chmod 755
/usr/X11R6/bin/*" and "chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6/bin/X*" and installing xwrapper.

Ideally, I'd like to call wdm from my console, and log in one of any number
of users.

Just curious if anyone has encountered similar circumstances, and how you've
worked them out.

Thanks,

Steve