Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 22:28:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      wjw@IAEhv.nl (Willem Jan Withagen)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Medium error

Hi,

A tricky question for the real serious hackers here:

We're running an ISP site and our newsdisk is giving us a hard time, but
it's real hard to replace the damn thing at the moment.

What do we have:
	A P90-asus with NCR controller with a quantum 2.1 Empire as sd2.

And this baby is generating a medium error on just one location.
Jun 13 22:19:50 iaehv kernel: sd2(ncr0:2:0): medium error, info = 2817606 (decimal)

The funny (??) thing is that this cause I/O errors in INN in serveral spool
directories. Even after I created a real large file to try and cover the bad
spot with just-another-file.

So I'm starting to wonder: can the bad spot contain more than just one
directory which is getting trouble?

But the real serious question: Is there any way of getting this ONE error
out of the way by just any reasonable method?

We're are going to upgrade to a real large disk in near future, and
currently we'd like to transfer the 2 Gb of news just once?

Thanx,
	Willem Jan Withagen