Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:02:59 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, julian@elischer.org, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: physical block no -> name of file  (FFS)?

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

[ ... finding bad blocks, using "backup" ... ]

> Yes, this solves my problem (now that I know in which partition the bad
> block is).
>
> But doesn't this need more resources than a dedicated program which only
> traverses the metadata? On a busy system it may be worthwile to have
> such a program (and I may be willing to write it).

The problem is that you will have to exhaustively search 50% of
all metadata to find a bad block that's contained in a file, and
100% of all metadata, if it's not contained in a file (for example,
if it has been replaced by a spare, or the error occurred during a
free of the bad block, and the bad block was in metadata, so it
held a reference to non-bad blocks).

In any case, you are looking at a reverse lookup problem.

-- Terry