Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2016 13:02:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "Janky Jay, III" <jankyj@unfs.us>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>, leres@ee.lbl.gov
Subject:   Re: devel/arduino - bad advice given in pkg-message

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016, Janky Jay, III wrote:

> Hi Torfinn,
>
> On 03/25/2016 10:20 AM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Janky Jay, III <jankyj@unfs.us>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> While your solution is not incorrect, your assumption on the
>>> proposed/given solution from the port is. The '-G' switch appends
>>> the given group to your users already given groups. So, if a user
>>> belongs to groups admin,wheel,test and you run the suggested "pw"
>>> command from the port, your user will now be in groups
>>> admin,wheel,test,dialer. It's the '-g' (lower-case) switch you
>>> want to avoid...
>>>

>> If you read the man page, I think you will find that it is your
>> assumption about what the '-G' switch does which is incorrect.
>> Quote: "-G grouplist" "Set additional group memberships for an
>> account.  grouplist is a comma, space or tab-separated list of
>> group names or group numbers.  The user's name is added to the
>> group lists in /etc/group, and removed from any groups not
>> specified in grouplist."
>>
>> Please note the part which says "and removed from any groups not
>> specified in grouplist"
>>

> 	Ah yes! You are correct! For some reason I was mixing my "pw usermod"
> and Linux "usermod" (where you use the -aG to append). My fault
> entirely. Continue with your correct request for the update of the
> false information. *fades into background*

For what it's worth, I wrote that message, and (try to) always test
things like that to make sure they work.  It seems I missed that,
though.

The way those options are explained in pw(8) is misleading.  Apparently
"additional" was used in the sense of "all groups that are not the
primary group", not in the sensing of adding groups.

Here is the current version (rewrapped):

      -G grouplist  Set additional group memberships for an account.
                    grouplist is a comma, space or tab-separated list of
                    group names or group numbers.  The user's name is
                    added to the group lists in /etc/group, and removed
                    from any groups not specified in grouplist.  Note: a
                    user should not be added to their primary group with
                    grouplist.  Also, group membership changes do not
                    take effect for current user login sessions,
                    requiring the user to reconnect to be affected by the
                    changes.

Here is how I propose to rewrite that:

      -G grouplist  Set secondary group memberships for an account.
                    grouplist is a comma, space, or tab-separated list of
                    group names or group numbers.  /etc/group is modified
                    to include the user's name in the groups specified in
                    grouplist.  The user's name is removed from all
                    groups not specified. Group membership changes do not
                    take effect for current user login sessions,
                    requiring the user to reconnect to be affected by the
                    changes.  Note: do not add a user to their primary
                    group with grouplist.

Feedback welcome.