Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:14:34 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP500 deskjet and 4.X

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 06:48:45PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 06:11:28PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >     Unless there are other causes -- like bizarre side-effects from
> >     interrupts -- or something even further out, I'm guessing that
> >     the reason my deskjet has stopped working recently (in FreeBSD-4.1)
> >     is a driver or configuration problem.
> >
> >     There were a few postings on -stable not too many weeks back,  but
> >     I can't find them in the archives.
> >
> >     Here is the related dmesg output:
> >
> >     ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> >     ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
> >     plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
> >     lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> >     lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> >     ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
> >
> >     I have changed nothing in my KERNEL file from the GENERIC setup;
> >     can anybody tell me what needs doing to get my old DeskJet-500
> >     back to working?
> >

> Are you sure? I don't see ppbus. Here's mine. IIRC the only time I _don't_
> see ppbus is if the printer is switched off when I boot (although I can't
> be 100% sure; it may report ppbus but, obviously, not the printer's ID
> string).
>

> 	ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> 	ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
> 	ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
> 	Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
> 	ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 610C> MLC,PCL,PML
> 	lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> 	lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> 	ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
> 	plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

		I'm not 100% sure of many things, but here is what
		is in my KERNEL file related to the printer port:

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

		The ppbus code probably can't tell much about
		an old DeskJet--that's my hand-waving SWAG;).
		For now, since I believe the DJ works--it works
		with a simple ASCII file, I haven't tried anything
		fancy-- I'm happy.

		gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix